Event Liability Waiver and Release of Claims
COVID-19 SAFETY INFORMATION: With the widespread availability of COVID-19 vaccines, safety protocols continue to evolve as more and more people are vaccinated. Alpha-1 Foundation, Inc. (the “Foundation”) strongly encourages individuals attending its in-person events to be fully vaccinated. Persons attending Foundation events include individuals afflicted with Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (“Alpha-1”). Alpha-1 is a genetic disorder that can cause serious lung disease in adults and/or liver disease at any age. Persons suffering from Alpha-1 are at higher risk of severe sickness or death if infected with COVID-19. Accordingly, all participants are encouraged but not required to wear N95 or KN95 masks on-site at Foundation events according to the Foundation protocol.
Individuals who fall within any of the categories below should not engage in any Foundation events on site. By attending a Foundation event on site, you certify that you have complied with the following guidance:
- Individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 (regardless of vaccination status) within the last 20 days should not attend until the symptoms have disappeared and the individual has obtained a follow-up negative test for COVID-19. The symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- Individuals who, currently or within the past 10 days, have experienced symptoms associated with COVID-19 should not attend until the symptoms have disappeared and the individual has obtained a follow-up negative test for COVID-19. The symptoms include fever, cough, and shortness of breath.
- Individuals who believe they may have been exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 within the past 20 days should obtain a negative COVID test or not attend in person.
DUTY TO SELF-MONITOR: Event participants agree to self-monitor during the event for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 (symptoms typically include fever, cough, and shortness of breath) and immediately to contact Foundation staff if the participant tests positive for COVID-19 or experiences symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days after participating on-site at a Foundation event.
LIABILITY WAIVER AND RELEASE OF CLAIMS: By registering and/or attending a Foundation event, each participant acknowledges that the participant’s decision to attend the event in person is personal and voluntary in nature, and in choosing to do so, recognizes and assumes all risks associated with attendance, including exposure to COVID-19.
RELEASE AND WAIVER: BY REGISTERING AND/OR ATTENDING A FOUNDATION EVENT, A PARTICIPANT RELEASES, WAIVES AND FOREVER DISCHARGES ANY AND ALL LIABILITY, CLAIMS, AND DEMANDS OF WHATEVER KIND OR NATURE AGAINST THE FOUNDATION AND ITS AFFILIATED PARTNERS AND SPONSORS, INCLUDING IN EACH CASE, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THEIR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, VOLUNTEERS, VENDORS, SPONSORS, EVENT SITE HOSTS (HOTELS AND OR RESTAURANTS OR MEETING LOCATIONS), AND AGENTS (THE “RELEASED PARTIES”), WHETHER IN LAW OR EQUITY, TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES OR LOSSES CAUSED BY THE NEGLIGENCE, FAULT OR CONDUCT OF ANY KIND ON THE PART OF THE RELEASED PARTIES (SUCH AS BUT NOT LIMITED TO DEATH, BODILY INJURY, ILLNESS, ECONOMIC LOSS OR HEALTH CARE COSTS OR OUT OF POCKET EXPENSES, OR LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY), WHICH THE PARTICIPANT, AND THE PARTICIPANT’S HEIRS, ASSIGNEES, NEXT OF KIN AND/OR LEGALLY APPOINTED OR DESIGNATED REPRESENTATIVES, MAY HAVE OR WHICH MAY HEREINAFTER ACCRUE AS THE RESULT OF PARTICIPATION ON-SITE AT A FOUNDATION EVENT.
ASSUMPTION OF RISK: Each participant in a Foundation event also acknowledges the following:
- Participation on-site in any Foundation event includes possible exposure to and illness from infectious diseases, including but not limited to, COVID-19. While rules and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness and death still exists.
- Each participant knowingly and freely assumes all risks related to illness and infectious diseases, including COVID-19, even if arising from the negligence or fault of the Released Parties.
- Each participant knowingly assumes the risk of injury, harm and loss associated with any on-site attendance at a Foundation event, including any injury, harm and loss caused by the negligence, fault or conduct of any kind on the part of the Released Parties.