June 9, 2021- FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
The 2021 Virtual Alpha-1 National Conference will take place from June 10th– June 12th, 2021 bringing the Alpha-1 Community together for three days of education, information, key opinion leader presentations and networking in a virtual environment. This event is free to the Alpha-1 Community through the generosity and commitment of our event sponsors. The annual event will take place again this year on the easy-to-navigate online platform. During this three day virtual event, attendees will hear from leading experts in Alpha-1 as they cover topics from Alpha-1 101 to the latest research breakthroughs and how the Alpha-1 Foundation is involved every step of the way. We have gathered Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency (Alpha-1) leaders, incredible keynote speakers, subject-area experts and patients to provide an experience like no other.
“As a patient, the virtual conference is an incredible source of education, information and resources for all Alphas. Whether this is your first conference or fifteenth, there is something for everyone. I am excited to see all the new conference highlights including the daily social events and new opportunities to engage and interact with other attendees.”- Jon Hagstrom, Alpha Patient
Designed to resemble the in-person annual National Conference, the platform is set in a simulated hotel setting similar to one where we would hold the physical event. The environment allows attendees to browse rooms, watch presentations, and attend live question and answer sessions. There is interactive engagement throughout the event including the opportunity to chat via text or video with other attendees and exhibitors. Attendees will start each day in the “lobby” and can choose where to go in the environment. This year features a new multitrack session agenda with something for everyone. With the patient at the center of everything we do, the Foundation has ensured that the patient voice was heard. Like last conference, this year also will have a patient sharing their Alpha-1 story and journey at the beginning of each presentation. Attendees have opportunity to learn more about the Alpha-1 Foundation programs by visiting the Alpha-1 Foundation booth and to learn more about how to be part of the cure by participating in the Research Registry. The tools and resources found throughout the platform can be easily saved to your “briefcase” to download onto devices.
Highlights of this year’s virtual national conference include:
- All NEW virtual platform design
- New multi-track agenda
- Five exciting keynote speakers
- LIVE daily social events
- LIVE Q&As with experts
- Chances to win one of several generous gift cards
- Interact with Alpha-1 Foundation staff and our sponsor representatives in the exhibit hall and rooms.
- Networking with others using the private text or video chat features
- On Demand Learning
Exciting Keynote Speakers:
- Robert Sandhaus, MD, PHD, FCCP, Clinical Director, Alpha-1 Foundation
- What You Want to Know About COVID-19 and Alpha-1 Patients: AlphaNet Data
- Loretta LaRoche
- Stress Less with Humor and Optimism
- Dane Jensen, CEO, Third Factor
- Building Resilience the ‘Mental Fitness’ Toolkit for Personal Resilience
- Stephen Ezell, VP, Global Innovation Policy Information Technology and Innovation Foundation (ITIF)
- Ensuring Continued US Biopharmaceutical Competitiveness
- Carey Lohrenz, first female F-14 Tomcat Fighter Pilot, US Navy
- Span of Control: Identifying and Overcoming Stress, Anxiety and Burnout
Platinum Sponsor Events:
- Friday, June 11: Go on an adventure with a virtual world tour, sponsored by CSL Behring and presented by TeleTourGuide.com, for what should be an inspiring and fun event! Sponsored by CSL Behring
- Friday, June 11: Join Grifols for a social event focused on reconnecting with others by reminiscing with Joe Zuraw, celebrating Mary Pierce’s retirement, and an opportunity to have fun with facilitated trivia. Sponsored by Grifols
- Saturday, June 12: Join us for a fun trivia game hosted by Kahoot with fun questions revolving around Alpha-1, Takeda, and pop culture. Sponsored by Takeda
This year’s theme is “All in For Alpha-1”, which stands for Attitude, Leadership, Legacy, Improvement, and New Beginnings. We want to engage you throughout the conference and help you become part of the Alpha-1 Community. For the first time attendees, this is a new beginning…by being here, you are taking the first step in being “All in for Alpha-1”. There is something for everyone! We invite you to engage, learn and connect whether this is your first or tenth conference.
How are you going to be All In For Alpha-1?
- Get involved in fundraising while getting your family and friends engaged in Alpha-1 awareness
- Make your voice heard by being a patient advocate
- Join the Research Registry and be part of the cure
- Join a support group
- Educate yourself and others
For the first time, the Foundation will be hosting a fundraising special event during the Virtual Alpha-1 National Conference. We are excited to announce our guest speaker, Sally Struthers, for the “All in for Alpha-1: A Celebration” fundraiser on June 10th at 6:00 PM ET. Joining us at this special event will be members of the Alpha-1 Community, medical professionals, researchers and our industry partners for a night of fun. Sally Struthers earned a series role in the early 1970s and became a solid part of TV history as a member of a dysfunctional family quartet in the milestone sitcom, “All in the Family”. Struthers went on to win two supporting Emmy Awards and four Golden Globe nominations as Gloria Stivic. There will be a silent auction and prizes throughout the evening. Click here to learn more.
Thank you for the generosity of our Platinum Sponsors AlphaNet, CSL Behring, Grifols, Takeda and Vertex, and Silver Sponsors, Accredo and CVS Specialty.