November is finally here and with it comes cooler temperatures, autumn scenery, and most importantly, Alpha-1 Awareness Month! On November 1st the #Alpha1Awareness campaign launched, revealing a new look and updated awareness resources on the Alpha-1 Foundation website. Anyone and everyone can participate by downloading our free digital and printable toolkits, sharing content on social media, and registering for the Alpha-1 Virtual Walk 2022 and the Bethesda Hybrid Alpha-1 Education Day.
Thank you to our Alpha-1 Advocates for obtaining Alpha-1 Proclamations from the following states: Florida State Resolution – Lisa Kosak, Hawaii – Valerie Chang, Missouri – Siobhan Lestina, New Hampshire – Joyce Smith, Nevada – Norma Leising, and South Dakota – Teresa Thomas.
It has been a great start to the Alpha-1 Virtual Walk! Over 70 teams are participating from 36 states around the United States to help turn the map purple with this year’s theme, Let’s Cure It! There is still time to register for the Alpha-1 Virtual Walk and to receive your t-shirt. Join a team, form a team, or register as an individual today.
There are many creative ways to get involved during this November’s Alpha-1 Virtual Walk. Let’s take a moment to spotlight some of the amazing fundraisers of the Alpha-1 Community:
- Donna Flowers held her very first fundraiser for the Alpha-1 Foundation by hosting a “Drive-in Movie” night in honor of her father’s 80th birthday at the Hull Drive-in movie theater in Lexington, Virginia. Over 30 cars came out to support the family while they watched Thunder Road! They had a great time raising awareness and funds, raffling items, and sharing Alpha-1 educational materials.
- A big shout out to Vito who hosted his second online fundraiser to benefit the Alpha-1 Foundation. Vito live-streamed a “tip-a-thon” for over 72 hours and raised more than $2,500. He had viewers from all parts of the world log on as he helped spread awareness about Alpha-1 in memory of his father, uncle, and the entire Alpha-1 Community.
- Kicking off the nationwide walks was Team Harrison from Lexington, Kentucky. The Stephens family has participated in the Virtual Walk for over 6 years and gathered their friends and family at a local park for football games and raffles. Together, their team of over 45 individuals makes them the largest team to date this year. They have already raised more than $2,500. Thank you to Hillary Stephens and her family for their continuous support and dedication.
- Congratulations to Betsy Scher, captain of Team “Oliver Findings”, who hosted her first walk in Highland Park, Illinois. Betsy was diagnosed with Alpha-1 in 2020 and has done an incredible job sharing her story and raising awareness. Betsy quadrupled her goal, making her the highest team fundraiser for the week at $2,600! Betsy and her team set up a table at Madame Zuzu’s Café in town and had a successful afternoon promoting Alpha-1 awareness.
- The Alpha-1 Foundation staff hosted a walk at the office headquarters in Coral Gables, Florida. The team walked to a local bakery in their Let’s Cure It shirts. Thank you to Peg Iverson, Alpha and Alpha-1 Foundation Board Member for joining in this exciting morning.
- Over the weekend, we also had many other participants walk in their purple t-shirts. Shout out to Lynn and Robert Soriano walking from Commack, New York. Thank you to Cheri Bedford walking from Swansboro, North Carolina, and Blake Miller and his dog from Team Defiance walking from Lago Vista, TX.
We are excited about the upcoming weekends and all the walks that are taking place! Don’t forget to tag the Alpha-1 Foundation on social media using the #A1FVW22 and send your walk pictures to receive special prizes to Irene Calderon at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you to all the participants who have posted on their Strava pages! Download the free app to help you keep track of your personal goals and miles!
The next Virtual Walk pep rally will be on Tuesday, November 15th at 7:00 PM ET. Click here to join on ZOOM
Tools to Help you Succeed: